ALA was awesome. I should have done a post or 12 about it. I learned a lot, met a lot of people, realized there is SO MUCH for librarians out there and we are doing some really amazing work out there in the world.
In selfish news: I have a job.
I’m a Children’s Librarian! MY DREAM JOB.
It’s an exciting time – but I had to, got to?, move. I’m now a Clevelander.
I’m exactly 3 hours from where I was living in Metro Detroit.
2.5 hours from Ann Arbor.
4 hours from Kalamazoo.
4 hours from Oxford, OH.
and I couldn’t be more excited.
I’ve been exploring the Cleveland Metroparks during my first week living in Ohio for the second time. It’s gorgeous here. As someone who has moved around for college and work opportunities, I know that it takes time to really acclimate to a place and I know this may not be my “forever” home. But being here, in the Cleveland area, feels like home. I know I could be happy living the rest of my life here and for that I’m grateful that I not only have the job I could be in for good, but a place I could live in for good.
Updates as I can and life as a first – year newbie librarian. Also, I have no Internet at the moment (issues I won’t get into) so posting is sporadic as usual.
Work starts Monday. Cheers!
I said “ya’ll” at the end of that last post. Who am I? Where did that come from? I blame my coworkers at AADL.
Also that was not so much a “this is what I packed” list as it was a “this is what I did instead of packing” list. I can always sleep on the train, right?
Guess what? I leave for ALA Annual 2013 tomorrow morning around 5:30am. And I’m anticipating having a great time. I’m also anticipating exhaustion. I’ve been to 2 teaching conferences from my previous life and one thing I remember, besides meeting wonderful people and being really inspired to go out and do great things, is exhaustion.
So of course you would think I’d be getting a good nights’ sleep tonight! Right! Hah! I wish.
Instead I’m doing laundry, reading twitter, watching Full House reruns and generally trying to pack / clean / prepare. I figured it’d be interesting to keep track of what I take and what I actually use so that I can be better prepared for next time.
- Kindle has been charged completely.
- Charging battery pack.
- Grabbed power cord.
22:06 – 22:13
- Surfaced clean island counter.
- Took recycling to recycling bin.
- Took care of grocery bags.
- Transferred washing machine stuff to the dryer.
- Emptied overnight bag.
22:13 – 22:19
- Wrote reminder note of food I’m packing.
- Started creating a “pack this” station at kitchen table.
- Surfaced clean counters.
- Checked twitter.
22:19 – 22:38
- Wrote “suitcase” and “backpack” packing list.
- Attempted to get on desktop to print tickets/hotel info but failed b/c the battery operated “wireless” mouse isn’t work.*
- Checked email / twitter / facebook on laptop.
*”wireless” because until tonight I assumed it was wireless. It is not. It is battery operated. And can I find replacement batteries? Nope.
22:38 – 22:55
- Found a bag to work as food cooler.
- Emptied dishwasher.
- Loaded dishwasher.
- Took out glass recycling (b/c in Michigan we get 10 cents for that!)
- Check twitter.
- Check facebook.
- Attempt to write facebook status. Decide not to. Write. Erase. Write. Erase. Update blog instead.
- Wrote facebook status anyway.
- Switched from Full House reruns to Friends.
- Dryer beeped!
23:?? – 23:32
- Took laundry upstairs.
- Brought down water cups and put in dishwasher.
- Found batteries, put in mouse, printed ticket.
- Collected all chargers, took photo, posted to social media.
- Drank a glass of water.
23:32 – 23:43
- Entered into a twitter conversation with a friend.
- Printed cursory ALA plan.
- Printed ALA Shuttle Schedule.
- Drank another glass of water.
23:43 – 23:53
- Grabbed American Libraries magazine and Entertainment Weekly.
- Got AADL totebag from the car.
- Set on counter everything I don’t want to forget in the morning (including cough drops, magazines, kindle, computer case).
- Decide everything I have to do on the first floor is done and I should move upstairs and actually pack as much as I can and then in the morning just add essentials like makeup / face routine stuff / mouth routine stuff and shower routine stuff.
- GChat for awhile.
- See ya’ll from ALA.